Sunday, February 22, 2015

Writing Comedy

Frequent cursing and discussing sex is common in stand-up routines. Considering my presentation will take place in school, I'm sure I can't curse, and considering my age and lack of experience, I don't think I can talk about sex either. (The only thing worse than not knowing anything about sex is having my parents offer to explain it.)






What I Learned

Well, the thing is, there is no set recipe for writing comedy. Every performance is about a different topic. Every comedian is different. Therefore, the websites I visited almost all said different things relative to writing comedy. However, there were some steps/pieces of advice that I found in more than just a couple sites. They are listed below:


  • Just find time to write. Get out a pad of paper, don't think too hard, and write out ANY ideas.
    • I'm going to buy one of those yellow notepads to put all of my writing on.
    • I'll try to write a little bit every day and provide updates.
    • It's not a formal way of note-taking. This is just a way to get ideas down.
    • All ideas are good. They can later be morphed into a string of jokes/stories.

  • It's informal. Like a speech. A conversation. It's not an essay. Full sentences not needed.
    • As you can see, I didn't use full sentences above.
    • Speak like it's a conversation with friends.
      • Use the same dialogue/sentence structure

  • What Exactly to Write About: Likes, Dislikes (these can come across funny), funny stories.
    • Dislikes make the funniest performances (in my opinion)
      • It provides the opportunity to rant about something that I'm passionate about.
    • I think it'd be easier to find something funny in something I don't like rather than in one I do.
  • Establish a point of view. Make it clear in the writing.
    • How do I feel about what I'm talking about?
      • What's my perspective/opinion?

*** Here's a website that I found to be very helpful: http://www.creativestandup.com/how-to-be-a-comedian-writing-comedy/


Final Thoughts
  • When Writing...
    • Take Risks.
      • Put yourself out there.
      • Write what you feel and passionately show it.


If I'm being completely honest, I'm very nervous. It's like I'm telling people that I'm going to make them laugh, and they're telling me to prove it. There are expectations set that I think are difficult to achieve. Still, I'm up for the challenge. I'm ready to start writing some of my own material. I'll start small - every day or two, I'll take 15-30 minutes and jot down any ideas that come to mind. I'll try to update you in my weekly posts, either by taking pictures or just typing up what I drafted.

Well, off I go. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

  1. I like your idea of becoming a stand-up comedian. You need both components of research and practice (yes, we talkin' 'bout practice). I just have a few key questions for you?
    - How can you verify that you will make us laugh? People tend to make jokes that think are funny but they are not really.
    -Are you going to be focusing on a certain genre of stand-up comedy? Impovisation? Puppets?
    -I know your goal is to have a stand up comedy show but how are you going to measure your progress throughout the cycles?
    Other than these small points, I think your good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt. Thanks for your advice. There really is no way to know if my audience will enjoy my jokes until I actually perform. However, I can at least test out my jokes by either recording them and then listening to them, or, I could practice the jokes in front of family or friends. As for a genre, I'm just going to be performing classic stand-up comedy. Using puppets would be ventriloquism and improvisation would be more associated with acting rather than stand-up comedy. (I'll have a script and everything.) Also, you asked about measuring my progress throughout each cycle. It's not like I'm making or doing one specific thing, like baking a cake. I'm writing comedy, and everything I write will be different. Therefore, it will be difficult to measure my progress. I will just be writing material. I guess that you could measure my performing skills, but that is not the primary goal for the project.
      Sorry if this got too long or run-on, but I wanted to address your concerns.

      Delete
  2. I'm literally so excited about this, it's an awesome idea. However, many of the concerns you voices are valid concerns. It's gonna be stressful and mildly terrifying going up there with the promise of a funny performance and then having to make sure you deliver. Your grade depends on people's laughter. I recommend practicing and testing your bits on a few people. Take their advice and think about what you could do to make your things funnier. I also love when comedians rant about something they don't like, so that's a great jumping off point. I'm really excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! First of all, I definitely agree with you when you say that comedians ranting is funny. I think these types of performances are the funniest because they use an angry tone, and an angry tone makes for a good show. As for your concern over practicing prior to performing, I was planning on rehearsing my jokes/routine/performance in front of either my family or friends (probably my friends because they're the same age as my final audience will be). Again, thanks!!

      Delete
  3. Regarding time to write, you should understand that good ideas will come to you at any given time. So it is extremely important that you always have a place to write something down. Your pad will work fine, but it always requires a pen present. Whenever I get good ideas, I immediately log them in my phone, or if I'm at school, I'll put them in my computer. So my advice to you is to always be prepared for your epiphany, because you truly don't know when it will hit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mohammed. One of the websites I visited actually said something similar to what you did. It said to always carry a notebook or pad of paper around with you in case an idea comes to you in a random place (like you said). Thank you for your advice!

      Delete
  4. Jacob, I will start by saying that I think it was a smart and mature decision to avoid talking about topics that consist largely of your ignorance. If you feel that you are not knowledgeable enough on the subject of sex then you should not talk about it as those who are knowledgeable will see that you are ignorant and take an immediate disliking towards you. Also, regarding the notepads, I have actually tried to do this earlier in my life and found it more difficult than I had first presumed. Are you going to write down EVERY thought that goes through your head or are you going to actively try to think of funny jokes to write down? From my experience, I think you should look into a specific topic and dig as deep and passionate as you can into that topic. A bit like the genius project itself, pick something your passionate about. I know you like soccer, I think you could take something regarding soccer that you are passionate about and branch off from that idea. I am confident that you are smart enough to write the material. You must remember to work on how you present it. You do not seem like a very animated person and I think that is what will require the most work if you are going to make the audience laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Harry So you are telling me to talk about something that I am passionate about (particular soccer, your example)... BUT, the things I'm passionate about are not relatable to most of my audience. I want to try to expand my horizons and talk about things that are well... not soccer. As for performing skills, I will need to practice A LOT before my performance because I am horrible at public speaking (and this is the ultimate public speech). Anyway, thanks for your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jacob

    I can say that you're already off to a great start, as I found myself chuckling at your introduction. I think that your idea to keep us updated on ideas for jokes in your posts is very smart; if you give us some practice jokes you can see what we find funny and learn more about your audience. This would be a good way to practice your jokes if not your presentation, which is still an important part of your project.
    If you need to practice your public speaking, you could practice in front of your family outside of school. Maybe even just do it in front of a mirror when you get the chance; the important thing I think, similarly to coming up with jokes, is to practice as much as you can now. Later you can finalize a presentation when you have a better idea of what jokes you want to make.

    All in all I think your presentation is going to be hilarious. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jacob! I can sure say that I'm am a huge fan of stand-up comedy. I constantly find myself watching Kevin Hart, Aziz Ansari, and other great stand-up comedians. I find these guys incredibly hilarious, and I'm sure you can learn some very valuable tips from the best of the best. Since I have a good knowledge of what a comedian should do on stage, I think you have a pretty firm grasp on the basics.

    I notice that you said you're nervous, and I think we all would be a bit nervous. I'm sure that if you practice in front of you family and friends, then you will become a little more comfortable. Also, when it comes to time to preform at the TED Talk, focus in on the people who you are comfortable with, and pretend like everyone else isn't there. That's how I got through some of my presentations in the first year of Gifted. Can't wait to see your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacob, I think all of what you described is key to being an entertaining and funny comedian. How free and open you are up on stage can make or break a show. I like how this project is going to really allow you to express yourself well while you are still entertaining an audience. My favorite part of this is that you plan to write down all of your ideas and not get rid of any. I think this is a great method for brainstorming. Also, I have to admit I laughed out loud at the first paragraph. I can't wait to do more laughing!

    ReplyDelete