Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Be Fearless

[1. I recommend using Internet Explorer for this]
[2. Click 'show all content' if the videos do not load]

This week, three things were done. I talked, I listened, and I wrote a little.

First, I had a conversation with my dad about comedy. He gave me some good advice, telling me this...
  • Everything can be funny.
    • No matter what the topic is, If the delivery and emotion associated with it is appealing and humorous, you will be funny.
  • Talk about universal experiences that people typically don't talk about but are common.
    • There are lots of things that are uncomfortable for people to talk about - if YOU talk about them though, they will laugh.
  • Talk about human nature.
  • Attack, Attack, Attack - comedians are fearless.
    • Make fun of someone or something. Don't be afraid.
  • Be confident.
    • Know you're funny
    • Tell your audience you're funny
Actually, as I was writing this, I was sent two very helpful texts...

Thanks, Dad.


I also started to listen to comedy on YouTube and Pandora (well, with a purpose at least). I did this in hopes of learning some lessons and picking up on things from the greats, such as:
  • George Carlin
  • Chris Rock
  • Rodney Dangerfield (whose real name was Jacob Cohen)
  • Kevin Hart
  • Sam Kinison (who I particularly enjoyed)
  • Richard Pryor
Just paying attention to the way they presented was beneficial.


The video below is of Sam Kinison on World Hunger.



Anyway, I didn't take notes on these specific comedians, but I did take mental note of their similarities.


They...
  • Use different voices
  • Make weird noises and sound effects
  • Tell stories
  • Interact with the audience
  • Have fun on stage!
  • Say things in ways people have never heard before
  • Are clearly prepared, but their stories and anecdotes come across as impromptu
In addition to the above, I began writing down some topics and ideas that I could possibly create a routine around for the TED Talk. Since I was looking for relatable topics, I couldn't write about marriage, raising kids, or subjects of the sort - but I could write about things we as teenagers suffer through, like school. Therefore, I drafted some ideas relative to school. They are below...






Recently, I saw a skit on Saturday Night Live that was absolutely hilarious. However, it was controversial. Still, I'm going to post the video because I know it will make you laugh.

[sorry, but there was no video of just the skit - I had to use one with commentary]




Well, this concludes my post for this cycle. Over the days of the next cycle, I'm hoping to begin writing specific jokes/stories about the topics above. The only thing I'm worried about would be writing something that I ultimately want to use in my TED Talk, but would have to post in my blog, even though it would spoil my TED Talk... :(


Okay sorry I'll leave it there. See ya!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you have some great resources. I am looking forward to seeing more of your routine. You explained your methods in a way that it was easy for people to understand, and the bullet points helped summarize your post. Your points on how to not get galled on in class I found particularly funny, because it is something that if you presented to the class, most people would understand. i would suggest going to a comedy club and trying to perform there if you feel ready. That would be good, and you would be able to see their reactions. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen! Thank you so much for letting me know that you find the 'not getting called on in class' idea funniest. That is the feedback I need! I haven't really thought about going to a comedy club but I'll definitely consider it now that you brought it up.

    ReplyDelete