Sunday, March 22, 2015

Three Days Away!

I'm just three days away from my TED Talk (hence the title)!

Mixed emotions. Nervous. Excited. Stage Fright.

This week, I basically did a little more writing and eventually wrote my actual stand-up routine for the presentation. It was very tough - choosing a final topic and then writing about it was so frustrating. I went from school lunches to not getting called on, to like 4 more topics, and then finally chose one (it's down below).

One of my potential topics was basically a funny way of guilting (don't think that's a word) Perlman and McDaniels. I was going to say stuff like, "If I don't get a good grade on this, I don't think I'll ever be able to perform in front of a crowd again," and just go on about that.

I was also considering talking about teenage girl phrases.
"Oh my God, I can't even."
"I'm LITERALLY dying."

I think you could figure out what direction that was heading in.

While I liked those topics, I ended up choosing a different one that I liked even more.


ANYWAY.........................................

I'm almost ready to finally present --- As I mentioned earlier, I've written my whole stand-up routine. The topic is... going to be a surprise. I don't really want to say anything just because it would spoil the show! I've also finalized my general TED Talk as well.

This was my original goal: finish the stand-up/TED Talk over the weekend so that I have both Monday and Tuesday to practice. Check.

I'm unbelievably super duper nervous... not really how a comedian should be feeling. Well, maybe they feel nervous, but they don't show it on stage. Hopefully I don't show it on stage.

[I'm sorry about the following things I say - I was literally just writing my thoughts down]

For my presentation, I think I'll be wearing a T-shirt and jeans. Just about everyone has dressed up, or at least appropriately for their topics for their presentations. However, comedians tend not to dress up. It's more of a casual look.

I'm hoping to be able to use a microphone. I think it'll make me more comfortable and I'll be able to speak normally like I'll be practicing, rather than have to yell it.

Also, I was actually recommended by more than one person to bring up a stool and put a bottle of water on it. If you're confused by why that would be relevant, it's just something that comedians tend to do - walk on stage, take a drink of water, wait a little, and then begin.


I'm probably making no sense but I think you can figure out what I was saying.

Thanks so much for checking in on my blog these past weeks. It's much appreciated!

I'll see you all on Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. I see you're very enthusiastic about your presentation and that you have been working hard, and I know the career of a comedian is hard as well. I know that you have probably finished presenting right now, but I wish you luck. I hope you have very much success in your talk and you are or rather already have knocked their socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob,
    I didn't have to see your TED talk to know that it was probably hilarious. I heard it's pretty tough to be a comedian in the real world much less in the Gifted world so you really got to be on top of your game to make it. I hope you were satisfied with your presentation and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola,
    My Spanish skills are almost as good as yours. I was really glad I was able to help with your opening and ya know actually put in a little humor into a project about stand up comedy. I hope it went well. Haven't gotten the chance to talk to you about it yet, but I'll check in during science tomorrow. I know you get stressed but you tend to put it together in the end. Hope to see you on Last Comic Standing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jacob. Glad you finally remembered the name of the TV show.

    ReplyDelete